Something a bit different for November, some of you may have seen locally news of St. Wulframs Church, Grantham organising a Christmas Tree Festival, a first for Grantham and they was calling for local business, schools, groups to submit a tree for the festival on Tuesday 24- Sunday 29 November.
I had been mulling over this event for a few weeks to come up with an idea for some kind of tree by us, visiting the church last Friday I explained what I wanted to do and was given a form to fill and hastily return the next day to the organiser, so with this now in place now to get things rolling.
The idea I had seen on the internet after searching a number of quotes, the image above gives the best idea of explaining it, but will only be the top 3 lays, 6 wheels. So the hunt was on for 6 old wheels, cycling past Cycle Sport on London Road thinking I wonder and 5 minutes later I come out with 6 old front wheels. Doing a quick mock up the tree shape would stand around 4.5ft tall.
So now for the different bit, on Saturday 14 November and Sunday 15 November I will be making a start and hoping to do a pre build between the hours of 10:00- 14:00, so I am hoping you can pop round sometime between these hours on either or both days for whatever time you can spare, be it 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours. There will be plenty to do and make and to put forward any ideas you might have too.
I'm also on the lookout to borrow some various items, the church has said we can have lighting on the tree, I am thinking some white lights round the edge would give the distinctive tree/triangle shape. So things I am currently thinking of if any of you are happy to lend to the project for a few weeks are the following:
Christmas lighting (prefer white/non colour lighting)
Old inner tubes*
Old wheel reflectors*
plus anything else you can think off.
(*items you would be happy to get rid of and scrap as maybe cut up/screwed etc.)
Wayne has given some old gear sprockets which we could use as bauble type features to hang from the tree and I have found some instructions of how to make little stars out of old bike chain and Wayne to has given some of these, both scrap from his business.
What next, if you could let me know if your able to come round on 14 and/or 15 November to help then would be great along with anything you can lend/hand to this project.
I am waiting to hear back from the organiser as to when we can set up but looking at the churches diary online it looks like Monday 23 November 09:00- 20:00 is given as well as Tuesday 24 November 09:00- 15:00. So I'm thinking maybe a Monday evening would suit.

No comments:
Post a Comment